I am absolutely in awe that this year is almost over. Almost every aspect of my life has changed in 2013 and I couldn’t be more happy at where I am at today. It came with its ups and downs but I’ve made it and I am totally looking forward to the crazy year I have ahead of me. New Years Eve has always been associated with partying, drinking, and livin’ it up with your friends and family. However, I think it is very important to take a moment to reflect on the year from where you started on January 1st to where you are today.
My top 10 biggest moments of 2013 (in chronological-ish order):
- I FINALLY completed my first half-marathon, after training for three (1 that got cut off at mile 10 due to Tropical Storm Ike flooding the course and 1 happened to be the day after I was in a wedding in a different city — lets just say I didn’t make it back in time haha). I worked extremely hard to accomplish this goal. I trained with a friend who hates running and motivated her to push through the miles and the pain to complete something on her bucket list. It was not without its challenges but I’m being dead serious when I say there is nothing more rewarding than crossing that finish line.
- I ran in 4 other races this year: (2) 5ks, a 7k, and a 10k all with different themes and memories I will never forget.
- I broke down and bought the Country Mega Ticket and saw some truly amazing performances. On this list were Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw, Zach Brown Band, Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line, Blake Shelton, The Band Perry, Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Little Big Town, and many more!
- I traveled to many different cities that I loved, some that I have been to before, others that I hadn’t. On the list are: Baltimore, Virginia Beach (3x), San Diego, Boston, Orlando, Philadelphia, Denver, and Austin.
- I visited Busch Stadium more times this year than any previous year (including box seats twice, redbird club tickets, a tour of the stadium,9th row seats, and a play off game!) I had a rough patch with games in which I got rained out of THREE in a row but mother nature came back around and treated me well the rest of the season. Also, I visited Fenway Park to watch the Red Sox beat the Twins.
- I chopped off my hair, which is a pretty big deal to me. I’ve always had pretty long hair and treated it like my security blanket. I don’t think my hair has been that short since middle school.
- My, at the time, boyfriend took the Men’s Volleyball Head Coach position at Culver Stockton which moved him to Quincy, IL. I was so proud of him for getting this amazing opportunity! He is starting the Men’s Volleyball program at Culver and I think that he can really make a name for himself there. His dreams have always been volleyball-centered and I am just so happy that he has landed his dream job. However, those four months that we were in a long distance relationship were tough.
- Which brings me to my next big moment! I was offered a job in Quincy in Marketing so I quit my job in St. Louis, packed my bags, and moved in with Mike! That was probably the biggest, hardest decision I had to make this year. I loved my job, the people that I worked with, and my life in St. Louis. In the end, love won and I couldn’t imagine my life being any different than it is today. Again, another thing that comes with it’s challenges, being away from family and friends is hard, but being away from Mike was even harder. Besides, its only a two hour drive home…and we make that trip all too often.
- I got engaged!!!! Hello real world and big kid status! Mike asked my parents for permission on the day I moved in with him and then at my surprise birthday party he dropped down on one knee and popped the big question. That was such an unbelievable night full of surprises and I will never forget how absolutely perfect the whole thing was. The wedding planning process has begun and so far it has been pretty laid back and fun. Although I guess ask me in a few more months if it’s still the same…haha!
- I started Focus T25 and began my journey toward a healthier, stronger life.
What are your biggest moments of 2013?? Please, take the time to reflect on your year, truly recognize your accomplishments and use them to help you create your goals for 2014. I hope that everyone has a safe New Year’s Eve and that you ring in the new year with loved ones by your side!